We hope you have enjoyed living in your rental property. In order that we may mutually end our relationship on a positive note, this page describes how we expect your unit to be left and what our procedures are for returning your security deposit.
Basically, we expect you to leave your rental unit in the same condition it was when you moved in, except for normal wear and tear. Smoke or Pet damage of any kind is not considered normal wear and tear.
It takes more time to move and clean than most people think. You should allow yourself at least one long day for cleaning after you finish moving everything out.
Regardless of the condition of the property at the time you took possession, at time of move out, the following is required and will be verified. This is not a complete list, but is meant to remind you of some common problem areas.
- All carpets vacuumed (professionally shampooed with a receipt provided to management at time of walk-through inspection if there were pets in the property or if otherwise warranted including pre-treatment to remove any carpet stains).
- Cabinets cleaned and wiped down, inside and out.
- Clean up any marked/dirty walls.
- Range, oven, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher must be thoroughly cleaned inside and out as well as underneath and behind.
- Bathrooms cleaned thoroughly. Remove tub and sink drains and clear them of any hair or trapped debris.
- Dust off all surfaces, including all woodwork and baseboards.
- All windows, blinds and window treatments must be clean, intact and operating properly. Windows must be left closed and locked.
- All hard floors swept and cleaned, including decks, garages, driveways and storage sheds.
- All expired light bulbs must be replaced with correct style, size and wattage.
- All smoke detectors and fire extinguishers must be in good working order.
- Shrubs trimmed, lawn mowed and all leaves and trimmings raked and removed from the property.
- If your property has a septic tank, you must have it professionally cleaned out/pumped no more than 10 days prior to vacating with a receipt provided to management at time of walk-through inspection.
- All personal property and debris removed from the property. Any items remaining at the property will be disposed of and you will be charged disposal costs in addition to time and travel costs.
- disconnect phone and utility services, canceled all newspaper subscriptions and sent the post office a change of address form.
- Report all damages to us prior to the move. This is your responsibility and may reduce your security deposit through combined repair trips and materials purchased.
- All other ordinary common sense cleaning and treatment of the property.
- We will usually conduct a final walk-through on the last day of the lease. Call to set up an appointment if you wish to be present for the walkthrough. You are not required to be present.
- All keys and garage doors openers returned.
If there is no damage to the property and it is in satisfactory condition, all security deposits will be returned in full with interest by U.S. mail in accordance with state law. This is our policy and it is our goal to return your entire deposit.
Please keep in mind that even an inexpensive item that needs to be replaced could result in a substantial charge against your security deposit. One trip to the hardware store can require 30 minutes and result in a charge to you. Charges for cleaning and repairs are $40.00 per hour, including travel time, or the actual cost incurred for professionals hired plus materials, which is even greater. You may find it less expensive to replace such items yourself, prior to move out.
We would very much appreciate it if you would also make a list of any repairs or nuisance items that you feel should be corrected before the next tenant moves in.
If you have any questions as to the type of cleaning we expect, please feel free to contact us.